NSF Workforce Data Repository
Administrative Data Repository on the Skilled Technical Workforce
GW PSCWP affiliates began work in September 2021 on a contract from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to build a repository of metadata from administrative data sources on non-degree credentials for the skilled technical workforce.
In collaboration with the Center for Regional Economic Competiveness, we built a searchable metadata repository to help researchers find and compare datasets containing information on credential attainment in skilled technical workforce occupations. The repository includes datasets focusing on specific types of credentials (e.g., RAPIDS on apprenticeship), special populations (e.g., WIOA PIRL for public workforce system participants), and datasets in which the credential or job posting is the unit of analysis (e.g., National Labor Exchange). Please see the notes in the first tab of the spreadsheet linked from the repository landing page for details on the organization of the metadata.
Federal STW Training and Credential Program Inventory
To better understand the nature of training and credential attainment opportunities for STW workers, the project team conducted a landscape scan to identify all programs that support training and non-degree credential attainment in skilled technical workforce occupations. This list was last updated in June 2023 and may be updated as new programs emerge to support the skilled technical workforce.
Data Quality Assessments
The team performed data qality assessments (DQAs) on selected datasets of value to researchers interested in non-degree credential attainment in the skilled technical workforce. Below we post full assessments and shorter executive summaries evaluating each dataset. Note that Colorado's roster of licensed practical nurses was selected as representative of state licensure rosters and the Maryland Noncredit Workforce Completers System was selected as representative of state noncredit data systems.
- WIOA Participant Indivdual Record Layout (PIRL): Full assessment | Executive summary
- Career OneStop Certification Finder: Full assessment | Executive summary
- Career OneStop License Finder: Full assessment | Executive summary
- Army COOL (Credentialing Opportunities Online): Full assessment | Executive summary
- TrainingProviderResults.gov: Full assessment | Executive summary
- National Labor Exchange Research Hub: Full assessment | Executive summary
- RAPIDS (Registred Apprenticeship Partners Information Data System): Full assessment | Executive summary
- Census PSEO (Post-Secondary Employment Outcomes): Full assessment | Executive summary
- Colorado License Roster (Nursing): Full assessment | Executive summary
- Maryland Noncredit Workforce Completers System: Full assessment | Executive summary
- Credential Engine: Full assessment | Executive summary
- IPEDS (Integrated Post-secondary Education Data System): Full assessment | Executive summary
- Andrew Reamer, Research Professor
- Kyle Albert, Assistant Research Professor
- Micah Sanders, Research Associate
- Ziyuan Wang, Graduate Research Assistant
- Jack Karsten, Graduate Research Assistant
- Allison Forbes, Research Director, Center for Regional Economic Competiveness
- Slides from progress report presented to the NCRN, April 28, 2022
- Literature scan on approaches to evaluating the quaity of administrative datasets